Requirements to Become a Network Researcher
STEP 1 | National Cancer Institute Human Participant Protection Module
The National Institute of Health (NIH)Module for Human Participant Protection Education for Research Teams required for all investigators working with human participants. This module is estimated to take two hours.
- The tests and certificate must be completed online.
- The entire module does not need to be taken at the same time.
- You may do each section separately.
Access the NIH Module for Human Participant Protection Education for Research Teams training online.
- Complete the modules by taking the tests at the end of each section.
- Write down the name and password you use to participate and keep it for future reference.
- Print the completion certificate and fax it to 352-273-7970.
STEP 2 | Required reading for all researchers
If you are involved in research with human subjects, you are required to read the following documents:
- Belmont Report: The Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP) considers it unethical for anyone involved in human subject research not to have read the Belmont Report. It describes and explains the ethical principles that should be followed by such investigators: respect for persons, beneficence and justice.
- Code of Federal Regulations: All human subject researchers must read 45 CFR 46. This document is the Federal regulation that describes the authority and responsibility of Institutional Review Boards (IRBs) in protecting human subjects.
- IRB Policies & Procedures: All researchers must read and follow the the IRB Policies & Procedures.
- Researcher Responsibilities: All researchers must read and observe these responsibilities.
STEP 3 | Complete the University of Florida ID Form
This form will only be used to generate a UF identification number for you in order to complete all required University of Florida training modules.
- University of Florida ID number form
- You must complete the Florida ID form before moving on to the training in step 4
STEP 4 | Complete the University of Florida HIPAA & Privacy Training
- Open these detailed enrollment instructions and keep them open while you enroll in the training course
- Log in to myUFL, go to My Self Service, then Training and Development to enroll in the course (see the instructions in Step 1 above). Search for the course by name (HIPAA) or by number (PRV800)
STEP 5 | Complete the University of Florida’s Health Information Policy and sign the Confidentiality Statement
- Read the UF Health Information Policy
- Read and “sign” the Confidentiality Statement (Read, scroll to the bottom, check the three boxes, then enter your information in the Registration Form)
STEP 6 | Complete the UF Institutional Review Board required training
- If you are involved in research with human subjects, their tissue, data, or medical records, you must complete the following mandatory training requirements. New myIRB studies cannot be submitted unless all required training has been completed and is up-to-date.
- University of Florida Institutional Review Board training page